To book an appointment, please ring us on (250) 247-9922, or click here if you have registered for the patient portal. We recommend contacting us at least three weeks in advance for follow-up appointments and prescriptions renewals. If it’s urgent, click here.
We schedule most routine appointments at ten- or fifteen-minute intervals. That includes the time your doctor will spend before calling you in, reviewing your medical records, lab results and correspondence, and documenting your appointment after you leave.
Please arrive a few minutes before your appointment time and always check in at the front desk.
We’re sorry if we’re running late. We often have to respond to emergencies, and we always try to give people the time they need — as we’ll try to do for you.
Please don’t save up multiple problems and then expect them all to be dealt with properly at one visit. If you have more than one thing to discuss, we may need to prioritize. And please make a separate appointment if you want to discuss something relating to another family member.
In an emergency, call 911. The island paramedics will assess the situation and determine whether you need to be brought to the clinic or taken to the Nanaimo emergency room. We have well-equipped emergency facilities at the clinic and can deal with many problems. If necessary, we can arrange a BC Air Ambulance airlift.
If you have a medical problem that is not an emergency but that cannot wait, such as a urinary tract infection or an unwell child, please call and let us know. We’re not a walk-in clinic, but we will do our best to fit you in. You will be seen by the doctor on call that day, who may not be your usual doctor.
You can also call HealthLink BC at 811 and, if necessary, speak to a registered nurse, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional.
For mental health crises, you can ring Vancouver Island Crisis Line literally any time on 1-888-494-3888. You can also text them (SMS) at (250) 800-3806 from 6 to 10 pm, or use their online chat from their home page.
Tips for all remote appointments
- Check your blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and weight before the call if they may help during your appointment (they often do).
- If you have something you’d like to show us (e.g. a skin problem), and you accept the insecurity of email, email us a photo at email@example.com. Something to show the scale (a ruler or coin) is helpful. Put your full name in the subject line. This email address is for photos only: text in your email will be lost.
- We’re sorry if we’re running late. As ever, we’re often delayed by emergencies, or by giving people the time they need.
- Please understand that we’re always pressed for time — just as much when we’re seeing you remotely as when you’re in our office.
- If you have multiple concerns please tell us what they are at the outset, so you and your doctor can agree how to best manage the appointment.
- Your appointment is for you. If you need to discuss someone else (even just a prescription refill), please make another appointment.
Tips for successful phone appointments
- Confirm which phone you would like us to call (home or cell), and make sure we have correct numbers.
- If your phone blocks calls from withheld numbers, please unblock it. Otherwise we may not be able to get through to you.
- Be available during the time you are expecting your call. If you miss the call your appointment may have to be rebooked. When you call back it is unlikely that you will be able to be connected immediately to your doctor.
Tips for successful video appointments
- Connect ahead of time and click on the “Pre-call Test” button to test your connection.
- Follow the link (shown above) to your doctor’s online waiting room a few minutes before your appointment time.
- Place your device somewhere stable.
- Be well-lit, with no light source (e.g. window) behind you.
Online Access via Patient Portal
We’re pleased to provide you online access to the clinic. This can be done via our Patient Portal. Once registered on the Patient Portal you can book an appointment, view your medical records, see your lab results, and more.
If you’d like to register, please speak to the staff, so we can set this up for you. It’s a secure process.
If you’ve already registered, click here to access online services.
The link above opens the following address:
Get In Touch
Phone & Fax
P. (250) 247-9922
F. (250) 247-9162
Mon-Wed: 9am to 4pm
Thursday: 10am to 4pm
Friday: 9am to 3pm
695 Church Street
Gabriola BC V0R 1X3